TAGS: EFA; CLA; dairy cows;
The aim of the project is to test the effects of EFA and CLA alone and in combination in dairy cows receiving a fat-reduced diet.
Description of the project
The Early Stage Researcher (ESR) linked to the project will test the effects of EFA and CLA alone and in combination (abomasal application) in dairy cows receiving a fat-reduced diet. Beside recordings of performance, gas exchange (via respiration chambers) and ovarian cyclicity post partum, blood samples and liver biopsies will be collected. The calves born will be fed with their dams’ milk and blood sampled until day 5 of life will be collected. Blood and selected tissue and milk samples will be subjected to OMICs (metabolomics, proteomics, and transcriptomics, the latter focusing on circulating miRNA). The ESR will also quantify major metabolic hormones including the mRNA expression of their receptors in target tissues and markers of inflammation and oxidative stress in blood and milk.
The ESR will be enrolled by the University of Bonn (https://www.uni-bonn.de/the-university) under the supervision of Prof. Helga Sauerwein and will be awarded a Double Doctorate degree in co-tutelle with the University of Milan (http://www.unimi.it/) under the supervision of Prof. Fabrizio Ceciliani. The supervision team is completed by PD Dr. Harald Hammon, from the Leibnitz Institute for Animal Biology (https://www.fbn-dummerstorf.de/?L=1) at Dummerstorf, Germany.
The selected candidate will participate in the network’s training activities and work placements in the laboratories of the participating academic and industrial partners.
Eligibility criteria are indicated at admission rules page
For the specific ESR 10 position, it will be considered advantageous if the candidate has:
- Experience in modern molecular biological (mainly qPCR), proteinchemical and/or immunological laboratory techniques Profound knowledge of ruminant physiology including metabolism is a plus
- Skills in statistics and interest to develop expertise for evaluating “omics” data
The University of Bonn requires the following additional documents at the moment of enrolment
- Declaration on criminal proceedings
- Declaration on health insurance valid abroad
- Proof of periods of employment spent in the public services
- curriculum vitae
- school-leaving certificate
- birth certificate
- for married persons: copy of the marriage certificate, where relevant of children’s birth certificates
- proof of membership of a health insurance agency
- pension scheme number
- income tax card
- Type “O“ police conduct certificate (of the Residents’ Registration Office responsible at the place of residence)
Proof of evidence for degree titles:
- university graduation certificate. In the case of foreign academic qualifications (non-EU member states) the equivalence with German academic qualifications must be confirmed by the Central Bureau for Foreign Educational Qualifications in Bonn.
- certificate proving completion of compulsory military service period or equivalent alternative, or proof of employment in the public services or with a different employer (in Germany or abroad) by submitting the job contract, where necessary with a certified translation
English language proficiency certificate
Not required for admission at the University of Bonn. For co-tutelle with the University of Milan, applicants whose first language is not English will be required to provide one of the English language proficiency certificate accepted by the University of Milan, listed at http://www.unimi.it/cataloghi/slam/certificazioniENG_Lug2017.pdf.
Salary and other benefits for the ESR enrolled at the University of Bonn are according to EU-standards for Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions and national regulations. The living allowance will be €3072.68 per month (gross amount-subject to employers costs, as well as employees tax and insurance) and appointed ESR will be eligible to pay local tax and insurance. Additional benefits are possible in the case of family allowances which will be €500 per month.
Each ESR will also have a Research and Training allowance which will be managed through the University of Bonn. This will cover the participation of researchers in training activities;
- expenses related to research costs;
- tuition fees (where applicable).
- Visa, residency card for the recruited researcher and their family (where applicable)
A mobility allowance is also available. This will contribute to mobility related expenses of the ESR. The amount of the mobility allowance is specified in Table 1 of the MSCA Work Programme and for calls 2018-2020 and will amount to €600 per month.
Please refer to the general required documentation at https://www.uni-bonn.de/studying/international-students/phd/admission-to-a-phd-course
The deadline for application is 21st May 2018 through the completion of the form under the section ‘send your application‘.